When Should Business Owners Start Proactive Tax Planning?
If you want the short answer on when to start using proactive tax planning strategies, it is far earlier than almost anyone tells you. The threshold is not revenue and it is not headcount. It is the first year your business throws off meaningful profit, somewhere around $75,000 to $100,000, or the moment you set up an entity. I own a staffing firm in Kansas City, we are in our fourteenth year, and I did not have a real planning conversation until year nine. That delay is the most expensive decision I have made as an owner.
Year Three: The Year I Should Have Started
We cleared about $118,000 in profit that year. The first time the business had produced anything I would call real money.
My accountant filed the return, told me what I owed, and I paid it. He was competent. He was also never asked to do anything else, and I did not know there was anything else to ask for. I assumed planning was a thing that happened to people with a family office and a yacht.
So we did nothing. For six more years.
Year Six: When It Started Costing Real Money
By year six we were at roughly $340,000 in profit, twenty-two people on payroll, and I was writing quarterly checks that made me physically uncomfortable.
The Entity Change I Never Made
I was still a sole proprietor. Nobody had ever walked me through what an S corp election would do to my self-employment tax, and I had never thought to ask. Three years of that decision sat there quietly, and every single one of them is closed now. You cannot go back and elect retroactively for a year that has already been filed and finalized.
The Retirement Plan Nobody Mentioned
I also had no plan of any kind. Not a SEP, not a solo 401(k), nothing.
The frustrating part is that I had the cash flow to fund one comfortably during those years. I just did not know the option existed at my size, and the person filing my return was not in the business of volunteering it.
Year Nine: What Actually Changed
A friend who owns a logistics company asked what my effective rate was. I did not know. That question sent me looking for a different kind of accountant.
The first meeting was in June, which felt strange to me at the time. We spent ninety minutes next year, not last year. She showed me a projection, three scenarios, and what each one would do to my number. I remember thinking that in nine years, nobody had ever shown me options.
We changed the entity structure, opened a plan, restructured how I was paid, and put an accountable plan in place for the mileage and home office costs I had been eating personally.
The Events That Should Force the Conversation Immediately
Most proactive tax planning strategies are triggered by a moment rather than a revenue level. If any of these apply to you, do not wait for filing season:
You are forming, changing, or dissolving an entity
Profit is crossing roughly $75,000 for the first time
You are buying a building, heavy equipment, or vehicles
You are bringing family members onto payroll
A partner is buying in or buying out
You have an unusually large revenue year for any reason
You are two to five years from selling
You are taking on debt or a significant capital raise
Every one of those has planning implications, and most have a hard deadline attached that nobody will remind you about.
What I Tell Other Owners Now
Ask your accountant one question: when will we talk about next year?
If the answer is vague, or if every conversation you have ever had with them happened between January and April, you are buying compliance. That is a legitimate service and somebody has to file the return. It is simply not the same thing as tax planning, and the two get marketed as though they were interchangeable.
Our CPA builds our plan in Tax Maverick, and the thing I appreciate is that I see the actual scenarios rather than a conclusion handed down. Being shown three paths and the tax consequence of each is what finally made me an informed participant in my own business. For nine years I was a spectator.
Ready to Put Proactive Tax Planning Strategies to Work in Your Business?
Every year you postpone this is another twelve months of decisions hardening into a filed return. Contact Tax Maverick and ask what a proper planning engagement would surface inside your own numbers. Browse their product collection now and compare entity structure analysis, retirement plan modeling, multi-year projection tools, tax planning software, and proactive tax planning strategies documented for growing business owners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my business too small for proactive tax planning strategies? Probably not. If you are producing $75,000 or more in profit, or you hold an entity election of any kind, there is usually enough on the table to cover the fee several times over.
What month should planning actually happen? Mid-year is ideal. Our tax planning session runs in June with a follow-up in October, which leaves genuine room to act before December 31 closes most of the options.
Can I still fix a bad prior year? Rarely, and only in narrow circumstances such as an amended return or a late election that qualifies for relief. Assume a filed year is finished, because it usually is.
How much should this cost? I pay meaningfully more than I did for a plain return, and it has returned that many times over. Ask any advisor to show you projected savings before you agree to a fee.
What if my current accountant says planning is unnecessary? Get a second opinion. Mine was not wrong exactly, he simply was not offering the service, and he never framed it that way.
Comments
Post a Comment