When Should Accountants Add Tax Advisory Services?

 


Tax advisory services for CPAs pay off the moment your compliance work is full and your income has gone flat anyway. For me that was March of my sixth year running the practice. I filed 341 returns that season, worked 71 straight days, and closed the year within four thousand dollars of the prior year's net. Same grind, same result. That is the tell, and I ignored it for two more seasons.

The Client Who Made It Impossible to Ignore

A landscaping contractor had been with me since 2016.

In February he mentioned, almost in passing, that he had sold a skid steer and a rental duplex the previous August. Both with no planning conversation because he never thought to call and I never thought to ask.

I ran the numbers. A structured installment sale and a serious conversation in October would have moved somewhere north of eighteen thousand dollars for him. Instead I entered figures into boxes and invoiced him $650.

He was not angry. He thanked me. That was the part that stung.

Three Signals That Told Me It Was Time

Looking back, the timing question around tax advisory services for CPAs answers itself if you watch for these.

1. You Are Already Doing Advisory Work and Not Billing for It

Count the calls. In one week that spring I fielded questions about an S corp election, a SEP versus solo 401(k), a home office deduction, and whether to buy or lease a truck.

Four strategy conversations. Zero dollars invoiced. If your call log looks like that, the market has already decided you offer advisory. You are just donating it.

2. Your Realization Rate Has Stalled

Compliance pricing has a ceiling and everyone in your market knows roughly where it sits. Once you are at capacity, the only levers left are raising rates on price-sensitive work or working more hours. Neither ends well.

3. You Are Losing Clients to Firms That Are Not Better, Just Louder

I lost two solid business clients in eighteen months. Both went to firms doing the same quality work, packaged as planning instead of preparation. That is a positioning problem, not a competence problem.

The Timeline That Actually Made Sense for Us

If I could rebuild the transition, here is the sequence I would follow.

  • Years one to three: Build compliance volume and keep clean records. You cannot advise on patterns you have not observed yet.

  • Year three or four: Start tracking which clients generate the most unbilled strategy conversations. That list becomes your first advisory cohort.

  • Year four or five: Learn a repeatable framework before you sell anything. This is where structured training earns its keep.

  • Year five onward: Reprice, then pilot with five to eight existing clients, then expand.

The one thing I would not do again is wait for a slow season to feel ready. Slow seasons do not arrive. You have to carve the time out.

Where I Got the System

I did not invent my methodology. I went through Tax Maverick because I wanted a documented process rather than a folder of conference notes and half-remembered ideas.

What mattered most was having a defensible way to show clients the number. Not "here is a strategy," but "here is what this saves you, here is the citation, here is what we do in Q3." Tax advisory services for CPAs live or die on whether the client can see the value before they pay for it.

Who Should Wait

I am not going to pretend this is right for every practice.

  • If you are under three years in, keep building the base first.

  • If your compliance workflow is chaotic, fix that before adding a second service line. Advisory on top of disorganization is just faster disorganization.

  • If your client base is almost entirely simple W-2 returns, the ceiling is genuinely low. Change the client mix first.

What Changed in the First Full Year

Two numbers I keep coming back to. Our average revenue per business client roughly doubled. And I took an actual week off in April for the first time since I opened the doors.

I also fired eleven clients. Not out of spite. They wanted a form filled out at the lowest price, which is a legitimate thing to want from someone else.

Tax advisory services for CPAs are not a marketing layer you paint over an existing practice. It is a different product with different pricing and different delivery. Once I stopped treating it as an add-on, the economics worked.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a practice too small to offer tax advisory services for CPAs? Size matters less than client complexity. A three-person firm with forty business clients has more advisory runway than a ten-person firm doing high-volume individual returns.

Do I need a separate certification to offer advisory work? No, your license already permits it. What you need is a repeatable methodology and documentation, which is where formal tax strategy training helps.

How do I price advisory without losing clients? Price the outcome, not the hours. When a client sees a projected six-figure savings, a five-figure fee stops feeling abstract.

How long before it shows up in revenue? For us, meaningful revenue arrived in month seven. Break-even on training and setup came at roughly month five.

Can I run an advisory during the busy season? Not well in year one. Build your calendar around off-season planning windows and let compliance own January through April.

Ready to Add Tax Advisory Services for CPAs to Your Practice?

If your call log is full of unbilled strategy conversations, you already have the demand. What is missing is the system. Contact Tax Maverick to talk through where your practice sits, or browse their product collection now to explore tax strategy training, advisory mentorship, and proactive tax planning frameworks built specifically for accounting firm owners.

Start before the next busy season decides for you.


Book a Strategy Call


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond Tax Preparation: How AI-Powered Tax Software Helps Professional Tax Preparers Become Trusted Advisors