What Is Tax Advisory and Why CPAs Are Shifting to It
People keep asking me what is tax advisory, usually in that half embarrassed tone accountants use when they suspect they should already know. Here is my answer, and it is short. Tax advisory is forward looking work. You examine a client's entity structure, income timing, retirement setup, and compensation strategy before December 31, then recommend legal moves that change what they end up owing. Compliance records history. Advisory rewrites it while there is still time.
I run a four person practice outside Boise. We did returns and only returns for eleven years. Good returns, on time, no notices. And every April I would sit across from a contractor who cleared four hundred thousand dollars, hand him a bill for eighty six thousand in federal tax, and watch his face do that thing faces do. Then he would ask the question that eventually broke my business model. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"
I did not have a decent answer. That bothered me for about two years before I did anything about it.
What the Work Actually Looks Like
Forget the textbook framing for a second. In practice, tax advisory means we sit down in August or September, pull the year to date numbers, and build a projection. From there we look for the levers.
For that same contractor, the levers were sitting in plain sight:
He was a sole proprietor paying self employment tax on every dollar of profit.
He had no retirement plan beyond a neglected traditional IRA.
He owned his equipment personally and leased nothing back.
His wife handled the books for free, which is generous and also a wasted deduction.
We restructured him as an S corporation with a defensible salary, opened a solo 401(k), put his spouse on payroll, and set up an accountable plan for the home office and truck. The first year saved him a bit over twenty two thousand dollars. He paid us six for the plan and the implementation. Nobody in that room felt overcharged.
That is the part nobody explains well when they talk about advisory. It is not a new skill set so much as a new calendar.
Compliance Versus Advisory, Plainly
Compliance is reactive, deadline driven, and priced by the form. Advisory is proactive, calendar driven, and priced by the outcome. One of them gets commoditized by software every single year. The other gets more valuable as the tax code gets uglier, and it has been getting uglier for a while now.
Why So Many of Us Are Making the Move
I have talked to enough peers to spot the pattern. The shift is happening for four reasons, and money is only the loudest one.
Margins stop being hostage to hours. A return takes what it takes. A plan takes what it takes too, but you are not billing the hour, you are billing the result. Our average client revenue went from roughly nine hundred dollars a year to just under five thousand. Same client. Different relationships.
The busy season stops eating you alive. Advisory work happens in the fall, which is the quietest stretch on our calendar. Spreading revenue across the year is worth something even if you never raise a single fee.
Clients stay. Nobody feels loyal to the person who fills out their forms. People feel loyal to the person who saved them twenty two thousand dollars and explained why.
The work is more interesting. I will admit this one is selfish. After a decade, data entry hollows you out. Strategy does not.
What Held Us Back and How We Got Past It
I want to be honest about the friction, because the podcasts skip this part.
Our first three plans took me forever. I was building projections in spreadsheets I kept breaking, second guessing reasonable compensation figures, and writing client deliverables from scratch at ten at night. It was not sustainable, and I nearly quit the whole experiment.
What fixed it was tooling. We started running scenarios through Tax Maverick, which handles the modeling and produces the client facing report, and the time per plan dropped from roughly fourteen hours to under four. That single change is what made the pricing work. Fourteen hours at a fixed fee is a hobby. Four hours is a business.
The other thing that helped was accepting that I did not need to know every strategy in existence. I needed to know eight or nine of them cold, and I needed to run them on every client, every year, without exceptions.
Ready to Build a Profitable Tax Advisory Practice?
If you have been circling this idea and want a real system instead of another webinar, this is the step worth taking. Contact Tax Maverick to see how their planning platform fits your firm, or browse their product collection now to compare advisory tools, tax strategy resources, CPA training materials, and client reporting templates built for practices making exactly this transition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a special credential to offer tax advisory services? No. If you hold a CPA or EA license, you are already permitted to advise. What you need is a documented process and clear engagement language separating planning from compliance.
How should I price a tax plan? Most firms I know price between fifteen and thirty percent of projected first year savings, with a floor. Never price it hourly. Hourly pricing punishes you for getting faster.
Will this cannibalize my compliance revenue? It did not for us. Compliance stayed, and advisory sat on top of it. Some firms eventually raise their compliance minimums to filter out clients who will never buy planning.
What kind of client is the wrong fit? W2 employees with no side income, and businesses under about seventy five thousand in profit. There is not enough room to move the needle, and you will both walk away disappointed.
How long before this pays off? We signed our first plan six weeks after we started offering it. Getting comfortable enough to stop dreading the conversation took closer to six months.
Comments
Post a Comment